Happiness Enhancing Strategies
These are 12 researched strategies for sustainable happiness adaptation written by Sonja Lyubomirsky as published in the Scientific Approach to Getting the Life you Want The How of Happiness (Penguin 2007).
1. Count your blessings
Express gratitude for what you have, through contemplation, journaling or verbally sharing your appreciation for others.
2. Cultivate Optimism
Keep a journal and write about the best possible future for yourself.
3. Avoid overthinking and social comparison.
Minimize dwelling on problems and comparing yourself to others.
4. Practice acts of kindness for friends or strangers, directly or anonymously, spontaneously or in a planned way.
5. Develop nurturing relationships.
Choose a relationship in need of strengthening and invest time and energy in healing, affirming and enjoying it.
6. Do more activities that truly engage you.
Increase the number of experiences at home and at work in which you “lose” yourself.
7. Replay and savor life’s joys through thinking about them, writing, drawing or sharing them with others.
8. Commit to your goals.
Select several significant, meaningful goals and devote time and effort to pursuing them.
9. Develop strategies for coping with stress, hardship or trauma.
10. Learn to forgive.
Keep a journal or write a letter to let go of anger and resentment.